"Better Umbrella" or "Big Tent"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 21 14:23:38 UTC 2005

I went to a year-end party at the Metropolitan Republican Club last night.
Bill Weld (candidate for NYS governor) was there, and he quoted someone (I
forget who) as saying that the Republican party was a "better umbrella."
The Republican Party used to be a "big tent" and now it's a "better
umbrella"? Maybe someone can look up "umbrella" and "Republican Party" on  FACTIVA.
Did Christine Whitman coin this?
OT: I hope the Republican Party is not one of those cheap $3 Made in China
umbrellas that fall apart on the first gust of wind. I hate those  umbrellas.
OT: The NY Times article on Weld and Decker College that ran last Saturday
was devastating, IMHO.
OT: The wife of candidate Dr. Joel Zinberg was there. I asked if he was
running again, and she said "Not if he's going to be married to me!" This was  the
best Republican chance in Manhattan. The seat had been held within the last
ten years, although registrations are 2-1 against. The incumbent was
term-limited. The incumbent's young, inexperienced staffer (who looks  like a teenage
intern) was running against Zinberg--who's both a doctor and a  lawyer.
Zinberg was endorsed by the Citizens Union, NY Times, NY Post, NY Daily  News, NY
Sun, and just about everybody. Lappin brought an army of union support  and beat
Zinberg, 65%-35%. His wife said that people who had known the doctor  for
fifteen years said that they "just couldn't vote Republican." Asked if they  were
voting for Ferrer over Bloomberg, they said, "Well, Bloomberg's not really
Republican." An interesting conversation.

_Christine Whitman, It's My Party Too: Moderates'  Manifesto_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.radicalmiddle.com/x_whitman.htm&e=912)

Our goal, she urges, should be to create a political  party that’s not so
much a Big Tent (with its leveling and  collectivist connotations) as a Big
Umbrella ...
www.radicalmiddle.com/x_whitman.htm -  23k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:7RTTAq2KFQsJ:www.radicalmiddle.com/x_whitman.htm+"big+tent"+and+
umbrella+and+republican+party&hl=en&start=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.radicalmiddle.com/x_
whitman.htm)
<NO
<NO
_Bookreporter.com - IT'S MY PARTY TOO by Christine Todd  Whitman_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=2&q=http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews2/1594200408.
asp&e=912)
In place of the old political image of a party  as a "big tent," she presents
a down-home alternative --- the GOP  as an umbrella, in which all Republicans
www.bookreporter.com/reviews2/1594200408.asp - 18k -  _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:yJpJ2hfhG0gJ:www.bookreporter.com/reviews2/1594200408.a
sp+"big+tent"+and+umbrella+and+republican+party&hl=en&start=2&ie=UTF-8)  - .
<NO
<NO
_Loose Lips_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=15&q=http://www.scpronet.com/point/9509/lips.html&e=912)      ... the Republican Party  should be a "big
tent" open to different philosophies.  ... a big Republican tent is beginning
to look more  like a "little umbrella. ...
www.scpronet.com/point/9509/lips.html - 14k -  _Cached_
(http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:WASyWms_K-AJ:www.scpronet.com/point/9509/lips.html+"big+tent"+
and+umbrella+and+republican+party&hl=en&start=15&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.scpronet.com/po
int/9509/lips.html)