Fwd: Re: eggcorn candidate: "undermind"--(Missouri School of Minds)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 28 20:35:39 UTC 2005

forwarded from Jerry Cohen

Larry
--- begin forwarded text

Subject:  Re: eggcorn candidate: "undermind"--(Missouri School of Minds)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:24:51 -0600
From: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at umr.edu>
To: <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

Larry,
    Would you please pass this along to ads-l (If I send a message to
ads-l  from any computer other than the one at home, it will arrive
encrypted):

     Best. -- Jerry

[message for ads-l]:
      Some years ago I received a letter from an inmate in a Missouri
prison (I didn't know him; his letter was addressed to my department)
asking for a copy of a German textbook.  I was happy to send him one
(via the bookstore, that's a prison requirement),
What interests me now though is his spelling of my school's name.
Since ca. 1964 we've been known as the University of Missouri-Rolla,
but prior to that we were the Missouri School of Mines. For some
old-time alumni, that's what we still are.  The prisoner--and bless
his soul; all my students should be as eager to learn as he
apparently was--misspelled that name as "Missouri School of Minds."
Actually, quite appropriate.

Gerald Cohen

--- end forwarded text