"Everywhere we go, people want to know..." (1967)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 28 23:41:36 UTC 2005

I'm not familiar with their use of "mighty, mighty" in their battle cry, but
the Blackstone Rangers themselves were once (in)famous across [black?]
America, thanks to Ebony and Jet. In their day, they were the Crips and the
Bloods rolled into one.

Weren't the Rangers named after their neighborhood? The Crips were
originally the "Cripples" and used an early version of the pimp cane as
their coat-of-arms, so I've heard. Well, having been resident in Los Angeles
during their rise to fame, I know that they were originally the Cripples and
carried canes. The *rest* is hearsay.

Don't know much about the history of the Bloods. The name "Blood" itself is
probably just the decades-old shortening of "blood brother," used as both a
term of address and in the meaning, "any random black male."

-Wilson Gray
,

--
-Wilson Gray