down with action (1943)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 29 03:55:31 UTC 2005

Here are a couple of examples from the early '50's, one a verse from a blues
and the other a formerly-hip bit of phraseology. I can't remember either the
title or the singer of the song. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I remember
these only because they didn't make any sense at the time. In the St. Louis
of my youth, "down" had only its negative connotations. Note also what is,
in my experience, a *very* late, ca.1953, use of "jitterbug," which I knew
mainly from having heard my parents use it. The writer probably used it only
because s/he needed a rhyme.

I [a woman] got me a eighteen-year-old jitterbug
And they all get jealous when they see us hug.
Looking at me with their faces frown[ed],
I can't help it if they just ain't _down_ !

I'm _down_ wit' it
And just can't quit it!
--
-Wilson