"of" for "have" in "would have" constructions

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Dec 29 17:12:08 UTC 2005

Amy,

Please send this goodie to me. I'm working on them. I've encountered
even such delights as "I'd've would've gone if I were you,"
admittedly more often in speech. I'm beginning to conclude that there
is a verbal particle "of," but how it patterns and functions I'm not
sure.

Dennis

--
Dennis R. Preston