counting sheep [was "re: gay cowboys"]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 31 01:05:51 UTC 2005

  OED has a bracketed 1854 for "count sheep," then nothing till 1920.  Certainly it strikes me as a predominantly post-1920 expression. (It's not in the _Century Dict._ or its 1913 Supplement, BTW, AFAIK.)

  Can anyone aid posterity by augmenting the history of this phrase ?

  Or by augmenting with additional traditional stanzas the bawdy version of the cowboy song ?

  JL

Page Stephens <hpst at EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Page Stephens
Subject: Re: gay cowboys

Cowboy humor always had as far as I can tell a measure of self deprecation
especially in terms of the animals they tended.

Here are two verses from the dirty probably original version of a song you
probably all know: Come a Yi Yippi Yippi O.

I jumped in the saddle, and the saddle wasn't there.
I rammed nine inches in the old gray mare.
I'm gonna time my pecker to a tree to a tree.
I'm gonna tie my pecker to a tree.

I laid on the ground and counted sheep
So goddammed pretty that I couldn't go to sleep.
etc.

Page Stephens

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: sagehen