"orthogonal" = (of non-mathematical factors, elements, etc.) independent of one another.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Dec 31 02:39:13 UTC 2005

  Though clearly derived from def. 3, this sense of "orthogonal" is not in OED :

  2005  Andy Cohen, in _Forum for Ballad Scholars_  BALLAD-L at LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU (Dec. 28) :  Though I am but an ignorant holder of the world's most useless masters degree in cultural Anthro (I studied how almost a hundred bluesmen used their thumbs), ...my opinion is that professionalism  *per se* and memberhip in a folk community *per se* are orthogonal to one another.  In other words, they are both factors in a complex equation, but do not relate to one another as such.

  N. B. : "How a Hundred Bluesmen Used their Thumbs."

  Your assignment is to write the Whitmanite / Chicago Renaissance poem bearing this title that was *not* written in 1937 because somewhow the title  didn't get thought of.

  Explain your answer.

  JL