articles on euphemisms for sex

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Feb 1 03:04:57 UTC 2005

You guys must be a little bit on the young side. Or perhaps you aren't
fortunate enough to have had a psychiatric social worker as a mother.
There is much knowledge to be gleaned from even the most casual perusal
of the library of such a person.

In the '40's, "frotteur" was the only term used for a male of this
persuasion in books easily available to the enquiring mind of your
humble correspondent. In like manner, "frotteuse" was the term applied
to a "common night walker" whose specialty was, well, the hand job.
Apparently, if memory serves, this erotic specialty was already a dying
art in its death throes, even in those days, in the United States, at
least. Probably as a consequence of the Yankee "can-do" attitude that
introduced the concept "do-it-yourself" to the world. These same books
used the terms "cunnilinctus" and "anilinctus" instead of "cunnilingus"
and "anilingus." They also introduced me to "irrumation" and related
terms, which are in the on-line OED, but are missing from the 1971
edition of the unabridged RHD, the most recent such hard-copy
dictionary to which I have easy access.

-Wilson Gray