Teen Lingo site

Tue Feb 1 19:18:07 UTC 2005

John Baker wrote:

>        The earliest I see on Westlaw is the Seattle-Times, 6/22/1986,
>where it's a reference to Bo Jackson.  But Westlaw poops out around that
>time, so the absence of earlier cites there is not significant.  I've
>always heard this as referring to Frank Sinatra, and indeed there is a
>9/16/1987 use in the Boston Globe to refer to Sinatra.
>
>        It's got to go back farther than this.  What surprised me was the
> vast range of people to whom it can refer.

Looks like we may have Dean Martin to thank for the expression.  From a
1964 column by Earl Wilson:

Reno Evening Gazette, January 4, 1964, p. 10/1
When Dean [Martin], Frank [Sinatra] and their buddy Sammy Davis Jr.
appeared at the Las Vegas Sands' llth anniversary, Dean bowed to Frank and
said, "It's your world, Frank; I just live in it."

--Ben Zimmer