"war daddy"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 2 00:19:55 UTC 2005

yOn Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Jesse Sheidlower <jester at PANIX.COM> wrote:
>
> I've been asked about the term _war daddy_ in football,
> referring to a very tough or aggressive player. Does
> anyone know the inspiration for this, or its history?

Here are the earliest citations from Nexis:

1980 _Wash. Post_ 8 July [article beginning on p. B1]  That was a theme
that ran through the sultry, 100-proof weekend full of old-timers like
James "War Daddy" Newsome, 54, a retired master sergeant who flipped
burgers at the picnic.

1985 _Arkansas Democrat-Gazette_ 13 Nov.  "The big deal about us is that
each area -- linemen, ends, linebackers, whatever -- each has contributed
at times when we've needed it," Lindsey said.  "We don't have a stud,
star, war-daddy, whatever.  For us to be effective, the guys who have had
to make the big plays have made them."

1989 _Sports Illustrated_ 11 Dec. [article beginning on p. 50]  "There's a
term [football] coaches use -- war daddies," says Curry.  "They get after
you and smash you.  A good team has one or two.  Auburn has 11."

Fred Shapiro