my mistake: garbage can (1906) not garbage pail

Barnhart barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Wed Feb 2 21:41:00 UTC 2005

Thus far, garbage pail (1885) is far older than garbage can:

Put away the milk at once when it is served [delivered?].  In five
minutes, an authority says, milk that is left uncovered and standing near
any drain or on the bricks by a garbage pail will imbibe enough impurities
to make it spoiled for baby's use.
_The Standard_ [Albert Lea, Minn.] (NewspaperArchive.com), Aug. 12, 1885,
p 2

garbage wagon (1882):

The city garbage wagon has been discontinued, and hereafter those who have
been benefited by it will have to provide for themselves.
_Davenport [Iowa] Daily Gazette_ (NewspaperArchive.com), Nov. 16, 1882, p 7