"withdrawl" = withdraw

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Feb 2 22:29:01 UTC 2005

Cute.  Seriously, though--I have in fact heard a final dark /l/ on "draw"
many times (without linking to a vowel; the same occurs with "mamaw," a
regional word for grandmother).  And, in contrast, I've seen in student
writing the spelling "draw" meaning "drawl," as in "He speaks with a
draw"--where the dark /l/ is vocalized in speech and transported into
spelling as absent.  Both processes are common here in SE/Appalachian Ohio.

So I'm still suspicious about the origin of "withdrawal" as a verb.  It
seems to me it could have been generalized/reanalyzed on the basis of
pronunciation.