Smart cookie (1932)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 6 10:00:22 UTC 2005

_http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=468770_
(http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=468770)

I am looking for the origin of the phrase "smart cookie" My daughter

is 6.5 and wonders why I call her a smart cookie, and not a smart x. I

want to tell her where the phrase started, etc. Thanks in advance.
The above "smart cookie" question just came up on Google Answers. Someone
just provided a 1948...The "Judas Priest" answer that I antedated by 30 years got
four stars!
Jonathon Green's Cassell Dictionary of Slang gives "1920s+."
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_A LINE O' TYPE OR TWO_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=440350252&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1107682690&c
lientId=65882)
R H L. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Nov 7, 1932. p. 10
(1 page)
A friend of mine suggested writing to the R.F.C. but these smart cookies
don't give you their address, they don't even give their full names.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
  _ Sheboygan Press _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=olJOpJH/3rKKID/6NLMW2m2sc/1LLWiHTLCIp+CdG9UjbtL4V7NJxQ==) Thursday, August 03, 1933
_Sheboygan,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:sheboygan+smart+cookie+AND)  _Wisconsin_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:wisconsin+smart+cookie+AND)    ...an international tournament.
And some SMART COOKIE comments tlial London.....just seven days. You see there
were no SMART alecks to offer a lot of Never..