Disraeli Quote on PQHN

Mon Feb 7 05:16:51 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 17:33:50 -0500, I wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 16:55:41 -0500, Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
>wrote:
>
>>If I can impose upon the list one more time:  Is anyone willing to check
>>ProQuest Historical Newspapers to find an 1893 Chicago Tribune occurrence
>>of the Disraeli quote about "my ancestors" (something along the line of my
>>ancestors were priests in the temple of Solomon when yours were
>>savages...)?  I would need the exact wording and dating.
>
>Chicago Daily Tribune, Jan 22, 1893. p. 38
>The people out there in the Kentucky County of Virginia resembled at the
>time Disraeli's description of their relative forefathers when they had
>called him a Jew: "When my ancestors were worshiping in the temple," he
>said, "yours were naked barbarians."
>
>But here are earlier cites:
>
>Washington Post, Mar 28, 1878, p. 2
>Jewish Times: Lady Rosebery has blue blood than her husband; her family
>tree is much more ancient than his. To quote Disraeli, her ancestors were
>princes in the temple when Lord Rosebery's ancestors were savages in the
>woods.
[snip]

(For "blue" in the above quote, read "bluer".)

I also see references to a very similar quote supposedly made by Senator
Judah Peter Benjamin of Louisiana, some time prior to the Civil War
(during which time he was Secretary of War for the Confederacy).

http://shakti.trincoll.edu/~mendele/vol03/vol03.234
Mendele: Yiddish literature and language
Vol. 3.234, February 13, 1994