Flamboozled; Dipsy-doodle; Zoot Suit; 29th Century Gabriel (1942)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 7 06:59:53 UTC 2005

20TH CENTURY GABRIEL (ERSKINE HAWKINS)
I got tired and depressed and didn't read much of DOWN BEAT. No "hawk." I
only wish I could help Chicago more.
1 January 1942, DOWN BEAT, pg. 14, col. 3 illustration:
_Gabriel Drew Him_
(Illustration)
Lucky Millinder, the sepia band leader who has made a nice comeback in  1941,
is caricatured by fellow band leader Erskine Hawkins, the 20th Century
Gabriel. Like Xavier Cugat, Hawkins wields a mean pencil in addition to blowing  a
hot horn. <illinder, with Sister Rosetta Tharpe as an added attraction, has
been playing the Savoy Ballroom, New York.
FLAMBOOZLED
The HDAS has 1956, probably from FLA(BBERGAST( + (BAM)BOOZLED.
I would think it's FLAM (as in flim-flam) + bamboozled.
1 January 1942, DOWN BEAT, pg. 5, col. 1:
_"I Was Flamboozled!"_
_Says Ballroom Op,_
_After Losing 20 G's_
Chicago--"I think I was flamboozled," said Mrs. W. L. Stearns, former
manager of the Palladium ballroom here, after she and her husband has just  dropped
$20,000 in the operation of the mammoth ballroom.
DIPSY-DOODLE
The HDAS has various citations from 1943, 1951, 1954, 1983.
15 June 1942, DOWN BEAT, pg. 4, col. 5:
Ben Pollack came out of the east with a new slang expression,
"_dipsydoodlers_," referring to those location jobs on which the musicians are  expected to
dig into their own pockets for office commissions, radio line  charges and,
frequently, a direct bonus or premium to the operator  himself.
ZOOT SUIT
15 March 1942, DOWN BEAT, pg. 12, col. 4:
_Pot Wants an "Au Reet" Zoot Suit_
(Photo--ed.)
You're not hep these days unless you're wearing a zoot suit, is the report
among swing musicians today. Pot, Pan and Skillet, currently touring with the
Duke Ellington ork, are knocking themselves out on a "Zoot Suit" sketch,
written  by Sid Kuller. The trio introduced the sketch calling for a "zoot suit
with a  reat pleat, a sadistic cape with a murderistic drape, shoulders extended
solid  as intended, streamlined lining and drape-lined pockets, 53 at the knee
and 7  inch cuffs." Skillet and Pan are shown here carefully measuring the
tape on Pot  so he gives his directions for the "ample 53."
1 April 1942, DOWN BEAT, pg. 4 ad:
KAY KYSER AND HIS ORCHESTRA
Latest Columbia Recordings
"A ZOOT SUIT"