Dictionaries Online?

Evan Morris words1 at WORD-DETECTIVE.COM
Tue Feb 8 21:57:44 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Baker, John
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 11:53 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Dictionaries Online?

        I think the American Heritage, http://www.bartleby.com/61/, is
probably the best free modern dictionary online.  For a far more
comprehensive (though now somewhat dated) dictionary, though, check out the
Century Dictionary, all twelve volumes of which are at
http://www.global-language.com/century/.  Urbandictionary.com is unreliable
but can be a useful guide to recent slang.  I don't use Merriam-Webster's
online website, http://www.m-w.com/, because I have the collegiate
dictionary on my desktop.  I'd love to have a subscription to the online
OED, but Jesse needs to lower the price first.

John Baker

Check your local library's website.  The Columbus (OH) public library offers
access to OED online if you have a library card.