Children's rhymes (1969); Old Maid Lemonade (1878)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 9 15:09:56 UTC 2005

Wilson, does "The Booty Green" (1959) contain an ex. of "booty" = sex?

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: Children's rhymes (1969); Old Maid Lemonade (1878)

On Feb 9, 2005, at 1:59 AM, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> Little Sally Saucer
> Sitting in the water
> Rise, Sally, rise
> Wipe off your eyes Sally.

An alternative version from East Texas (I learned it there, but, given
that variations of this variation appear in black pop music, e.g. the
couplet, "Put your hands on your hips / And let your backbone slip"
occurs in the 1959 song, "The Booty Green," I think that it is/was
universal amongst the colored. Since I learned this from my mother,
who's now 91, I'd guess that this version is probably at least a
century old.)

Little Sally Walker
Sitting in a saucer
Rise, Sally, Rise