"chocked full" (for the eggcorn files)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 11 19:10:51 UTC 2005

At 11:50 AM -0500 2/11/05, Laurence Horn wrote:

>Both the semantics of the adjective (cf. "crammed", "stuffed",
>"packed") and the phonetic complexity of a putative -[kdf]- sequence

Of course I meant not -[kdf]- but -[k*t*f]-, as in "tactful"* or
"packed full", "stacked full".  It's not that this sequence is
impossible, but that it's relatively difficult, so it wouldn't be
surprising if a speaker assumed that a perceived "chock-full" was a
simplification of an underlying "chocked-full", as in "a sink
stack(ed) full of dishes".

>support the plausibility of a participial origin of "chock-full", but
>given that no such origin exists, the  "chocked(-)full" spelling can
>be seen as involving another hypercorrective "re"storation.
>
>Larry

*I wonder if there's any evidence that the -t- is more likely to be
retained in this one, where it's part of the adjective rather than a
separate, grammatically reconstructible morpheme as in the "Xed full"
cases.