African American Folklore (2002)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Feb 14 20:53:14 UTC 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 3:26 PM, George Thompson wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: African American Folklore (2002)
> --------
>
>> "Gettin' more ass than a toilet seat."  In movie The Deer Hunter
>> (1979), cited in HDAS.
>
> Heard from a college student in the early 1960s, in Boston.
>
> GAT
>
> George A. Thompson
> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern
> Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

Heard from a college student in the early 1960's in Los Angeles. There
was also a version used to describe a woman: "She got more ass than a
toilet seat," i.e. she "pack much back" in the Sir-Mix-A-Lotian sense.

If this had spread from one end of the country to the other by then, it
makes me wish that there was a Federal Catch-Phrase Authority to which
the inventor of such a phrase would have to report.

-Wilson