Yumptious (1957); Nat Ferber's "SIdewalks of New York" (1927)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 16 22:54:18 UTC 2005

YUMPTIOUS
Grant Barrett's Double-Tongued Word Wrester has this, but doesn't list Newspaperarchive:
 Â  Â
http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/yumptious/
yumptious adj. delicious.
English. Food & Drink. [yummy + scrumptious]

1980 William Safire N.Y. Times Magazine (Sept. 21) “On Language: Living In Synonymy” p. 16: This scholarly, no-frills econiche for neologisms makes yumptious reading from here to Bosnywash.

 Â  Â
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
  Syracuse Herald Journal  Sunday, August 04, 1957 Syracuse, New York   Â
...trick on this one. The other as the YUMPTIOUS creation which the inventor..

Pg. 56, col. 4:
The other chose, as usual, the "Sabayon Fielding"--a yumptious creation which the inventor was kind enough to name in our honor several years ago
NAT FERBER'S "SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK"
I've been going through Nat Ferber's works. He was a reporter on the New York American. His I FOUND OUT (1939) about his American stories doesn't have much of interest here (junkie? snowbird? yenta?), but it's great New York City history.
SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK (1927), if you check on Catnyp, is "missing" from the NYPL. I had to read it at Special Collections here at NYU. SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK, fer chissakes.
OED has "Edna Ferber" entries, but nothing at all for Nat Ferber.
SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK: A NOVEL OF THE EAST SIDE
by Nat J. Ferber
Chicago: Pascal Covici
1927
Pg. 9: Bluntly, Meyer Bernstein referred to his disconcerting grandchild as a _mamzer_ and recoiled from the sound of the word.
Pg. 24: "Nu, these _nudnickness_ [boors] make the most trouble in the cemetery. They are such good actors that they make everybody hystericable. Just when I begin throwing in the grave the first couple shovels dirt, she will give a holler of '_vey is mir_!' [Woe is me!], give herself a clap in the head and make out she is [Pg. 25--ed.] going t'row herself in the grave on top of the coffin."
Pg. 26: "Why don't you see Luftig, the _shammes_?"
Pg. 31: ..._shadchen_ {matchmaker's] fee.
Pg. 34: He swelled with conceit when of him would be repeated in his hearing the time-worn Yiddish saying: "He can bring a wall and a wall together; two stones he can make one."
 Â  Â
Pg. 41: "I want to introduce you to Mr. Chaim COhen, the biggest potatonik in Rivington Street."
(...)
"Pleesta meecha," stammered Cohen,...
Pg. 45: ...not a kaptzin_.
Pg. 47: ...potato peddler a _millionairke_.
Pg. 58: ..._schidach_...
Pg. 60: Even the apathetic Mrs. Cohen, witness to many such meetings, donned a clean silk kerchief which she wore over her _sheitel_ [wig].
Pg. 72: "Whatsamatter? Whatsamatter?"
Pg. 102: "I'll kill him and in my house there will be no more _mamzeirim_."
Pg. 115: "_Mamzeiris_! Blackhands! _Dago_! Why was I cursed with you!"
Pg. 128: "_Tachreichim_ [a shroud] I'll buy you, whore!"
Pg. 129: The lodging house stiffs of the Bowery, pawns in the well known practice of "voting early and often," did their business with Frank in the shadows of the place.
Pg. 136: "Yeh, it happens _taake_ mean step-mothers," Herschel admitted, "But I know from neighbors that she is a good woman.
Pg. 153: "Mazel Tov," [Lucky Day] he articulated through teeth that gripped a stuffed chicken neck.
(...)
"Yeh. And we should live when you shouldn't have so much nerve like you now got, _Chazer_! [pig].
Pg. 168: And they, surrounded by sympathizing relatives, were mourning their Abraham who had "gone west."
Pg. 179: Second, as he put it, he was "punch drunk." He was like the pugilist who had been struck times without number on the head.
Pg. 214: "Instead of Alter Posterock, that sounds like something to eat, like pastrami, you can call yourself Paster, a hightone American name."
Pg. 215: "Now all of a sudden you are changing your name and talking about checks. It ain't kosher."
Pg. 218: The street changed Posternock to suit itself and referred to Alter and his as the _Pascudnicks_, which means "the filthy."
Pg. 256: Her goulasch, strudel and pirogen were delicacies for which Chatzkel's place was locally famous.
Pg. 258: "He ain't a professor. He's going to be a bust boy."
"A bust boy?"
"Yeh. A bust boy. what busts the dishes."
Pg. 271: The party ordered cheese blintzes and were given rapid service.
Pg. 274: I'll quicker become a _Rebitzen_ (of the rabbinate).
Pg. 299: "A _maake_, an abcess, I'll put back."
Pg. 344: The reporter, a hard boiled egg, in the language of Park Row, frankly announced on his arrival in Stone's presence that he had come to prove that he was a crook."
Pg. 349: The reporter wrote a "first person" interview with her.