Change the name of Arkansas? (1910); See a pin... (1870)

Thu Feb 17 16:24:53 UTC 2005

Barry contributes:

#"SEE A PIN AND PICK IT UP..."
#
#It appears that "pin" is earlier than "penny."
#
#
#(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
#DREAM OF THE LITTLE GIRL WHO WOULD NOT PICK UP A PIN.
#Mrs A M Diaz. Our Young Folks. An Illustrated Magazine for Boys and Girls (1865-1873). Boston: Mar 1870. Vol. 6, Iss. 3; p. 178 (8 pages)
#First page:
#"See a pin and pick it up,
#All the day you'll have good luck;
#See a pin and let it lie,
#Come to sorrow by and by."
 <<<<<

Not surprising in historical context. A little girl would be much more
likely to see a pin on the floor than a penny. If I recall correctly what I
have read, pins used to be considered quite valuable, having to be made by
hand individually. There's an old song called "Paper of Pins" in which a
suitor offers a lady just that for her hand, followed by other valuable
items, each of which she refuses up to and including "the key to my
chest"... until, in some versions,he offers "the key to my heart", which
wins hers.
(http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiPAPERPIN;ttPAPERPIN.html

http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiPAPERPIN;ttPAPERPIN.html)

-- Mark A. Mandel, The Filker With No Nickname
     http://mark.cracksandshards.com/filk.html
     Now on the Filker's Bardic Webring!
     [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]