"infamous" = famous

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 20 16:10:41 UTC 2005

At 5:13 PM -0800 2/19/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Becoming endemic but not in OED, "infamous" as "well-known; famous" :

I've noticed this amelioration for awhile, but I don't think it's as
simple as Jon's equivalence above, or at least not yet--it's more
like "famous in a pop-cultural domain" or "famous (only) for being
famous".  Or at least that's the way I've often seen it.  So it can
be the "infamous Paris Hilton" or (slightly less likely) "the
infamous Brad Pitt" but much less likely "the infamous Mahatma
Gandhi", no matter how famous and well-known he was.  Let's google
them...

"infamous Brad Pitt"  116
"infamous Mahatma Gandhi" 0

Of course, context is a problem--"infamous Paris Hilton" picks up
5690, but mostly of the form "the infamous Paris Hilton sex tapes" or
the like.  Still, I think the distinction is real:  "infamous" is
still a hyponym of "famous", rather than a synonym, although its
territory has expanded.

larry