"infamous" = famous

Jan Kammert write at SCN.ORG
Sun Feb 20 19:56:37 UTC 2005

If this is true, then is there a word to replace the meaning I understand
for infamous (famous for doing bad)?

My 8th grade students seem to think that assassination means any murder,
especially a murder for hire.  If that's true, is there a new word that
means killing someone who is politically important?  I hope the English
language doesn't lose important meanings as old words take on broader
meanings.
Jan