"Y'all" redux

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Feb 20 22:06:43 UTC 2005

Would somebody please post a reference to a seemingly intelligent printed source - or any source - that confidently asserts that Southerners address individuals as "y'all"?  It would be nice if the source was more recent than, say, 1930, but I'll take anything.  It would be good to know exactly what it is that is being defended against.

Here's a damnyankee hypothesis for quiet consideration: singular "y'all" used to be far more common than it is today, particularly among the poorest and least educated Southerners of either race. The Dixie patriots who emotionalized the issue eighty and more years ago would see themselves in hell before they'd let any scallywaggin', tail-draggin', carpetbaggin', yellowbellied bluebellies mistake THEM for TRASH!

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "Y'all" redux

On the contrary, it marks those who use "y'all" as a singular as not
really being Southern-speakers. I'd really love to hear "y'all" used as
a singular somewhere other than in books and movies or on TV or radio.
The closest that I've come to that is hearing people, including your
humble correspondent, use both "y'all/you-all" and "you" as plurals in
unmonitored speech.

-Wilson Gray