'walk of shame' origin?

neil neil at TYPOG.CO.UK
Mon Feb 21 11:41:03 UTC 2005

'This was something I had vowed never to do, put myself in the hook-up
position in someone's fraternity house. Because nothing's anonymous at this
school, despite what you'd think from the size. A walk of shame the next
morning would definitely make 34th Street [last 2 words italicised].'

-Rachel Solar-Tuttle, 'number 6 fumbles', Pocket Books, NY, 2002, 39

I understand the concept, but wondered if the origin is sexual or sporting,
and would be interested to learn of it's earliest occurrence.

- Neil Crawford
(who can't figure out to change his posting name from 'Neil' to 'Neil
Crawford'