Dialects in film

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 22 00:30:14 UTC 2005

Both Kidman and Zellwegger sesounded OK in "Cold Mountain," but maybe I'm too liberal a judge.

JL

Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIOU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Beverly Flanigan
Subject: Re: Dialects in film

It should be noted that Renee Zellweger (in "Cold Mountain," not whatever
that ditzy English movie and its sequel were called) and Jude Law were
supposed to sound Southern Mountain, while Nicole Kidman was the genteel
Charleston-born lady. So they represent Deep South vs. Mountain, not just
Southern.

And was Brad Pitt supposed to sound Greek or Trojan?! (I never saw the
movie, thankfully!)