Give me five, etc. (1925)

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 22 10:42:32 UTC 2005

Was Walter Catlett black? I thought "give me five" (and probably "press the flesh") was a black-invented phrase.

Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:Mr. Catlett, who first gained great popularity a few years ago in "Sally,"
when he played a comedy part along with Leon Errol, has invented a number
of widely used and expressive phrases Among them are "So's your old man,"
and "Press the flesh," "Give me five," and "Mitt me," the last three all
invitations to shake hands.