Dialects in the movies

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 22 17:05:00 UTC 2005

Speaking of John Sayles, "Matewan," set in rural W. Va., seemed to have very authentic accents.

JL

"Joanne M. Despres" <jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joanne M. Despres"
Subject: Re: Dialects in the movies

In John Sayles' "The Return of the Secaucus Seven," a character
whose name I've forgotten (the actress who plays her has dark
brown hair and has appeared in other Sayles films) does a wicked
imitation of what I think is supposed to be a Maine accent. It
sounds very much like the dialect I used to hear as a kid in
northeastern Massachusetts.

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster