Singular y'all?

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 22 18:12:11 UTC 2005

 From a blog I regularly read, by a native Torontonian
<http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2005/02/22/the_wool_house_presents_2.html>.
Note the first paragraph:

"Welcome back y'all. (Or is that "y'alls" I can never figure that
out. I was in a "Waffle House" in Tennessee once and the lady who poured
my coffee said "Y'all want cream in that?" which confused me, since I
was alone. Clearly, "Y'all" must be the singular, which perplexingly
must mean that "y'alls" is the plural...right? Maybe this is something
else Laurie can tell us, since she's an English professor.)"

--
Alice Faber
Haskins Labs