Dominican "vitamins" & "hot diggety dog" (1906, again)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 22 21:51:03 UTC 2005

Greetings from Casa de Campo in the Dominican Republic. There are several restaurants at the resort here, but they serve Italian, Chinese, Mexican, and Japanese food...Dominicans seem pretty sure that they'll have the next pope.

DOMINICAN COFFEE--served here. It just means that it comes from here, not like Mexican coffee (with Kahlua).

DOMINICAN ROLL--Tuna, avocado, plantain, shrimp.

VITAMIN A--Rum.
VITAMIN B--Beer.
VITAMIN C--Coke (soft drink).

HOT DIGGETY DOG--I found "hot diggety (dog)" in Winsor McCay's "Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend" in the NY Evening Telegram, 20 September 1906. I had spent several weeks going through all of McCay the old-fashioned way. I mentioned that here at least twice. No one remembers? No one checks the archives?

Some old Harvard stuff that I'd posted, revisited:

YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL A HARVARD MAN, BUT YOU CAN'T TELL HIM MUCH--
I remember I was told before entering college--by a graduate of Brown, I think it was--that no man could go to Harvard and stay there four years without becoming a snob. This man, like Arthur Train, cited the choice maxim, "You can always tell a Harvard man, but you can't tell him anything," as proof of his allegation. As a neophyte I was considerably impressed by this statement, but managed somehow to reserve my judgment and entered the Freshman class in 1916. In all this time I had heard nothing of the high intellectual standards which prevail at Harvard; the most I knew of the University was its supremacy in athletics (there had been a football victory about that time, I believe).

GENTLEMAN'S GRADE--
>From news on Friday, January 14, 1910
EXAMINATIONS AND INTELLECTUAL REFORM.
In a few days the feverish rush of work that always precedes the semi-annual examinations will commence; with many men it is already under way. The disturbance that examinations make in the routine of life of the majority of undergraduates is a measure of the scholastic apathy that intervenes; a quietness barely broken by hour examinations, tests, and theses. Interests athletic and social pursued to the exclusion of the purely intellectual are responsible for the unpopularity of examinations, and for the sentiment, often felt if not expressed, that "C is a gentleman's grade."

OH RINEHART!--
The Graduate Student probably expected that the epithet which he applied to the CRIMSON would excite the ire of this "long-faced periodical." But if he will take "Oh, pueri!" to Mr. Copeland and "This is college life, this is" to someone who saw the Follies, we are sure that he will discover that we cried out, not against the "wholesome youthfulness" of the resurrected Rinehart episode, but rather in that very spirit of toleration and amusement that he has himself assumed.