hollo / hullo/ hello / hi / hey as simple greetings

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 23 22:34:23 UTC 2005

"Bub" goes back to the 19th C.  In fact, I used to say it a lot in grammar school !

J "So Old He's Hip Again" L

Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OHIOU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Beverly Flanigan
Subject: Re: hollo / hullo/ hello / hi / hey as simple greetings

I've got a new one (to me, at least): A grad student told me "Hey, bub!"
is commonly used among his friends, and the office assistant, listening in,
said he uses it all the time. (Both are 25-30, white.) I asked if "bub"
came from "bubba," and neither one knew; they've just absorbed it as a new
address term for a friend, male or female. Any comments?