Dialects in films

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Feb 24 00:17:37 UTC 2005

So has William Peterson of the original CSI. Well, it's an
easily-recognizable, Chicago-area accent, at least, since he's from
Evanston.

FWIW, the marker for me is the distinctive pronunciation of words like
"are, bar, car, far, tar," etc., regardless of whether the speaker is
black or white. I'm familiar with the SNL parody of the Chicago accent,
but it was the Chicago -ar(e) that caught my attention, back in the
'50's. In those days, it was customary for young black men from St.
Louis to go to Chicago to work in the post office during the Chris-,
uh, I mean, the holiday-season holidays.

-Wilson