Dialects in films

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Feb 24 15:45:51 UTC 2005

On Feb 23, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Kathryn Remlinger wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Kathryn Remlinger <remlingk at GVSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Dialects in films
> --------
>
> Here are a few more film suggestions. (My previous message got cut in
> transit. )
>
> Mickey Blue Eyes (good for discussions of accommodation and dialect
> "passing"--Hugh Grant tries to pass as a member of a New York mob
> family)
>
> Selina (Chicano English, code-switching)
>
> Barber Shop I (varieties of AAE, good for dispelling myths about
> speakers of AAE)

In this movie, there's an occurrence of "antybody," pronounced
approximately "[IntI]body," wherein the [t] is fully pronounced, with
apiration. This is an intensive pronunciation of "anybody" that I'd
never before heard outside of my own family, BE-speakers from East
Texas. Very interesting.

-Wilson Gray