"Gwine"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 24 16:10:16 UTC 2005

At 10:06 AM -0500 2/24/05, Wilson Gray wrote:
>On Feb 23, 2005, at 9:29 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>At 3:52 PM -0500 2/23/05, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>>Yes. You are correct, sir. It *was* Old Crow that was known as "Dirty
>>>Bird." Folk are friendlier to brands like Jim Beam and Jack Daniel's,
>>
>>reminds me of a line I liked in "Monster's Ball" (speaking of movies):
>>
>>My husband used to LOVE him some Jack Daniel's.
>>-Leticia (Halle Berry's character) to Hank (Billy Bob Thornton's) in
>>"Monster's Ball"
>>
>>The referent is of course the (African-American) man who was put to
>>death earlier in the movie.  (I like the line for the "personal
>>dative", but I don't mind me some Jackie D on occasion myself,
>>although I usually go for non-schoolboy scotch.)
>
>My favorites are a blues line, "I laid down last night, thinkin' about
>me a mojo hand" and "I'm just sitting here, eatin' on me a hamburger,"
>spoken by an R&B DJ. There's also "We'll have her a party," but that's
>not clearly distinct from "We'll have a party for her" or "We'll throw
>her a party." On the old TV show, "In Living Color," there was a bit by
>the Wayans sister that always included the line, "I love me some
>Miss/Ms/Mrs [I've forgotten the name]!"
>
>-Wilson
And let's not forget that #1 pop song from Toni Braxton (she of
"Un-break my heart" fame), "I love me some him" (2003):

I love me some him
I'll never love this way again
I love me some you
Another man will never do

More recently, Terrell Owens has become (in)famous for his slogan "I
love me some me."
Thanks for those post-PP examples ("thinkin' about me", "eatin' on
me"), something I didn't have attested in my corpus.

Larry