y'all redux

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Feb 25 06:22:38 UTC 2005

Inny y'all ever watch Dr. Phil? He's a fine example of a Southwestern
speaker. He's from Vinita, OK (not to be cofused with Vinita, MO),
originally, but he's lived in Texas for quite a while and uses a lot of
"y'all." He even uses "hit" for "it"! And there's also Katie Couric. I
can't say that I've ever heard her use y'all, but she uses "you-all"
with a fairly high degree of regularity. She's a native of (West?)
Virginia, I believe.

-Wilson