dog, dag, daeg, dawg, doe-ug, etc.

Fri Feb 25 16:26:24 UTC 2005

I'm frankly puzzled by the certainty that people have about these -og words.
I would have to go back and listen to some of my old fieldwork tapes to know
WHAT I say, but I am pretty sure there is a lot of variability in my own speech
between [o] and [a] in most of the -og words--I speak with the tongue of a
sociolinguist, a little of this, a little of that, depending on where my tongue
happens to go (and maybe sometimes on the audience).