time machine=ATM

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Feb 25 22:55:24 UTC 2005

>I had a student report the following to me today:
>
>>Greg,
>>i was working at the hotel today and for the first time someone asked
>>me where the time machine was, she referred to the atm as the time
>>machine.
>>
>>-Jeri
>--
>-
>Gregory J. Pulliam

Where is she from? When I lived in Milwaukee (82-84) and was first
using ATMs, the system available to me was a TYME machine (I don't
remember what that stood for). It was something else, when I came to
Chicago (different banks). You (all) may or may not not remember that
you didn't used to be able to use your ATM card in other networks (or
even in other places)! Now I have not doubt that the ATM I put my
card in will recognize it (even if there are OTHER problems with
getting my money).

Barbara