Church key anecdote

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 25 23:41:50 UTC 2005

At 11:50 AM -0600 2/25/05, Barbara Need wrote:
>>Contrary to what appears to be popular belief, screw-off tops are
>>far from universal.  For some reason,

I submit the reason is that this property places them in a natural
class with European brews, in which class they basically belong by
intrinsic considerations (and certainly by budgetary ones).  It's
something like an analogue of cork-bottled vs. screw-top wines,
although the analogy isn't precise.

>>at least the microbrews I
>>drink come in bottles with tops that still need to be pried off.
>
>[stuff deleted]
>
>>Peter Mc.
>
>Well, and screw-off tops are often very hard to GET off! They still
>have the crimping around the edges and I find a church key (or other
>bottle opener) still the best way to get the tops off beer and soda
>(pop, soda pop, tonic, soft drink) bottles.

True, although there's a marginal argument for unscrewing them (if
they do unscrew), which is that it's easier to screw the top back on
if you don't finish the contents at one sitting.

larry