obsolescene [was church key]

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Feb 27 02:43:31 UTC 2005

On Feb 25, 2005, at 9:44 PM, James C Stalker wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       James C Stalker <stalker at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      obsolescene [was church key]
> --------
>
>         The “ice box” example opens some interesting connections
> among
> language, metaphor, and technology.  When I was young, we had an ice
> box.
> My father would bring home blocks of ice and place them in the
> appropriate
> compartment, and replace the ice as necessary.

In my day, ice was delivered by the ice man, a system well-attested in
various blues songs through the ''50's. There was a sign that was
placed in a front window to let the ice man know how many pounds of ice
were wanted. I learned "figidaire" first. My grandmother in Texas had a
General Electric frigidaire. When we moved to St. Louis, we at first
couldn't afford a frigidaire. So, we got an icebox.

-Wilson Gray