ice box (was: obsolescene [was church key])

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Feb 28 22:29:28 UTC 2005

I used to wonder whether "Frigidaire" or "refigerator" was the source
of "fridge." After consulting many English-French dictionaries and
seeing many French movies wherein "refrigerator" is translated by
"frigidaire," and the fact that my mother and my grandmother *always*
used "frigidaire" and never "fridge" for any brand of refrigerator, my
vote is for the brand name as the source.

-Wilson