Anyone for _surf and turf_?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 4 06:37:12 UTC 2005

SURF AND TURF
SURF AND TURG
I'd previously discussed "Surf and Turf," "Land and Sea," "Beef and Reef,"
and "Fin and Feather."
(I was going to revisit the subject for my food website, but I don't have a
food website, and I can't seem to even pay money to a web  designer for a food
website. I do parking tickets like I did today  from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.,
with a half hour lunch, in a room with unbearable heat  and no windows. 2005
really looks great.)
MURDERERS' ROW
This has also been discussed before, by Gerald Cohen and the 19th century
baseball guys, I believe "murderers' row" might go back to NY's Tombs  prison.
JOE BLOW
>HDAS examples of "Joe Blow" begin in the early '40s (unless Ben or Bill  can
push it back >further). There is no evidence, but one is now led to  wonder
how many early users found it, >too, to be "unprintably"  vulgar.

>JL

Well, I'm not Ben or Bill, so nobody asked me. I was doing much of this
stuff eight years ago. I had posted a "Joe Blow" by Rube Goldberg from  the NY
Evening Mail, but I think that's destroyed in the old  archives.

"Joe Blow"--in the form that we know it and clearly not the name of a
person--appears in the "Circus" section of Barry Buchanan's 1930s unpublished
Encyclopedia of the Entertainment World.
THREE BY FIVE
A police guy before me today said that, when police radio to  report a crazy
person, they say they've got a "three-by-five"  (card).