geechee

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Wed Jan 5 14:23:34 UTC 2005

On Jan 5, 2005, at 12:39 AM, Mullins, Bill wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> --------

Yes, I remember that. I've seen both the play once and the movie
several times and I agree with your interpretation of the meaning of
the language used in that scene. FWIW, both DARE and HDAS also agree
with you WRT the negative reading.

In any case, what I apparently failed to make clear is that I'm
claiming that it's only in the part of *Texas* that I'm from that
"geechee" isn't ever an insult, but merely a descriptor, like saying
that a person is "black-headed" (brunette). I didn't intend to imply
that what's true for East Texas is universally true.

-Wilson Gray