geechee

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Jan 6 03:19:48 UTC 2005

On Jan 5, 2005, at 5:24 PM, Educational CyberPlayGround wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Educational CyberPlayGround <admin at EDU-CYBERPG.COM>
> Subject:      Re: geechee
> for Linguists from all over the world
> interested in creole & dialect speakers.
>
> I used to live on St. Croix, USVI teaching
> elementary school.  see:
> http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/AboutUs/aboutus.html
>
> best,
> karen

Don't worry. All is forgiven.;-) I find the topic fascinating. In fact,
years ago, a friend of mine went so far as to suggest that none other
than the late great Raven McDavid would be interested in the change in
meaning of "geechee" in the course of its travels from, presumably,
South Carolina to Texas. However, I never had the nerve to contact the
great man about something that strikes me as rather trivial. To me, the
fact that the word survived transportation to Texas is more interesting
than the change in meaning that it underwent there. A lot of black
Texan families, including the family of your humble correspondent, have
their roots in South Carolina. Interestingly enough, "geechee" is a
common household term that I learned as a child, but I know "Gullah"
only as a literary term. FWIW,  with reference to New Orleans and other
locations in Louisiana, "creole" is pronounced as approximately
"kree-awl" in my native version of BE.

Justice Thomas is a whole 'nother story. But I'm more than willing to
let that sleeping dog lie.

-Wilson