nasi goreng (1938, 1939)

Thu Jan 6 17:19:24 UTC 2005

OED3 has 1958 for "nasi goreng" (Indonesian/Malaysian fried rice).  I'm
sure Barry can do better, but here are LA Times cites from 1938 and
1939...

Los Angeles Times, May 23, 1938, p. III4/5
FRIED RICE (Nasi Goreng)
As its Malay name implies, this consists basically of rice fried until it
is brown. There is no uniform recipe by which other ingredients are
determined; individual taste and chance as to ingredients available are
determining factors, with the result that the dish is never the same in
any two households. Usually small cubes of meat, fish or chicken are fried
with the rice. Sliced onions and cocoanut may be included. Spices used
include paprika and "sambal ulik" (very hot red pepper).

Los Angeles Times, Sep 4, 1939, p. II2/8
At the Dutch East Indies restaurant I found a 21-course feast called
Rijstaffel.
"What," I inquired of the beturbaned brown man who brought the 16th
offering, "is this tasty dish?"
"Nasi goreng."
"Thank you," I said, "and tell me, do you Javanese fear a Japanese invasion?"
"Nasi goreng."

Los Angeles Times, Sep 24, 1939, p. I11/2
A great many Javanese dishes would not be practical for home cooking,
because so many spices are needed and must be so skilfully comibned. But
one of the chef's special dishes is entirely practical and very, very
good. He calls it fried rice nasi Goreng, and he has given us the
following recipe.

--Ben Zimmer