Stinky Tofu; Surf & Turf; Italian Iced Tea

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Jan 9 14:19:22 UTC 2005

> STINKY, SMELLY TOFU
> Thanks to Ben Zimmer for using "bean curd" to track this to 1980.  It's
> often
> transliterated as "dofou," which is why I thought "tofu"  would be used.
> But

Actually, it's often transliterated as doufu, because that's what it's
called in Chinese (in the pinyin transliteration). Tofu is Japanese.
It's too bad that "bean curd" has been replaced by "tofu."

Paul
Paul Frank
English translation
from Chinese: social sciences and humanities
from German, French, and Spanish: sinology
e-mail: paulfrank at post.harvard.edu