interrogation techniques (Mutt & Jeff, good cop/bad cop, etc.)

Tue Jan 11 11:49:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:53:58 -0500, I wrote:

>I don't see anything in OED or HDAS for "good cop/bad cop (routine)".
>Surprisingly, I couldn't find any cites before 1973-74, in two NY Times
>articles by Leslie Gelb about negotiations with Israel made by Henry
>Kissinger and James Schlesinger:
>
>-------
>1973 _New York Times_ 21 Oct. Sec. 4 (Week in Review) 1/5 Was this a bad
>cop-good cop routine? Was Mr. Kissinger fixing the diplomatic deal, but
>keeping Mr. Schlesinger in reserve as a threat to keep the Soviets from
>taking chances?
>-------
>1974 _New York Times_ 4 Aug. (Magazine) 44/4 But another version is that
>the two Secretaries arranged to play a good cop-bad cop routine with the
>Israelis.
>-------

There are earlier cites for "good guy/bad guy"...

1963 _New York Times_ 7 Nov. 42/7 Other detectives interviewed explained
that one carryover of the past was still used today, but to a much greater
extent. It is called "good guy-bad guy." Under this system, a "tough"
detective begins questioning an uncooperative prisoner. ... As the tough,
or "bad guy," appears about to strike the prisoner, the "good guy" comes
into the picture. He remonstrates with the bad guy and says he will take
over the case.

--Ben Zimmer