nauseous = nauseated (1885)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Jan 11 16:47:38 UTC 2005

I came in on this discussion in progress when I rejoined the list after an
absence, so I apologize if this aspect has already been covered, but it
seems to me that "nauseous" is isolated by its pronunciation in addition to
its other peculiarities.  I don't recall ever hearing it pronounced other
than "nawshus," whereas I don't recall hearing the other words in question
pronounced other than "naw-ze-ating" and "naw-ze-ated."  A kid I went to
high school with, who was British, was famous for saying "naw-she-ated,"
but I'm sure the "nawshus" pronouncers I've heard--even very recently--were
not all British.

Peter Mc.

--On Monday, January 10, 2005 5:02 PM -0500 Benjamin Zimmer