Oakland food

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 12 03:40:35 UTC 2005

At 10:12 PM -0500 1/11/05, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>We stood in line at the Thai restaurant for an hour, then in deseperation
>went to the Mexican place down the street. I order the beef
>molcajete, which was
>so tough I had trouble dhewing it and so picante that the experience of even
>the sause was distressing. Ugh.

OK, de gustibus and all that.  Actually my meal there was relatively
mild (enchiladas poblanas w/mole sauce), but livenable up with the
salsa, and as mentioned the margaritas helped.  But maybe at all the
places on the block it was basically luck of the menu--a not uncommon
failing of non-top-of-the-line eateries, although one ameliorated at
the Thai place with its lunch buffet where you can go back for more
of the good stuff.  I'm willing to concede that SF would have had
tastier options, but I don't want to (as it were) bad mouth what I
thought was a pretty decent block of restaurants to find a few yards
from the side door of the hotel.