RE:       Re: Oakland food

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Jan 12 14:37:14 UTC 2005

> I   agree with Arnold about this. The hotel staff was
> outstanding, and it WAS
> nice to be able to get to such a variety of restaurants within
> easy walking
> distance. The food at the Marriott itself was good, too, for that
> matter. The
> fact that the Vietnamese and Mexican food did not quite come up to
> Orlando/Durham standards has to take into account that in Orlando
> and Durham I know where
> to go. There is also some bad food in Orlando (which has NO really good
> Mexican or Chinese that I have found, not anywhere) and Durham.

I'm not sure what restaurants you're referring to. Le Cheval, which despite
the name is a Vietnamese restaurant near the hotel, is quite good (or at
least it was, I haven't been there in a few years). Some of us also went out
to the Mexicali Rose, which was passable but nothing to write home about.
There is also some superb Chinese nearby, but as Ron says you have to know
where to go. I don't know downtown Oakland that well, but there are some
top-notch restaurants further afield in the city and in Berkeley, and at
very good prices.

--Dave Wilton
  dave at wilton.net,
  http://www.wilton.net