"Hip" in Football: Precursor to "Hut"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 14 22:18:51 UTC 2005

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "Hip" in Football: Precursor to "Hut"?

On Jan 14, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: "Hip" in Football: Precursor to "Hut"?
> --------
>
> At 1:28 AM -0500 1/14/05, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>> A couple of weeks ago Barry Popik inquired about the origin of the
>> quarterback's interjection "hut". I recently came across David
>> Feldman's
>> book of "Imponderables", _When Did Wild Poodles Roam the Earth?_, in
>> which
>> he discusses the question. Feldman's sources on football history all
>> agree that the quarterback's "hut" is modeled on the Army drill
>> sergeant's
>> marching cadence of "hut 2-3-4". That had been my guess.
>>
>> One of the football historians also sent the following tidbit to
>> Feldman,
>> suggesting that the preferred interjection was once "hip":
>
> thereby demonstrating the seminal role of Wolof in the evolution of
> football...

Well-played, Larry!

For the record, the official spelling - and the officially-recommended
approximate pronunciation - of the cadence is "HUT! TOOP! THREEP! FAW!"
I can no longer remember the number of the Army manual in which this is
codified. But I don't think that anybody here really cares, in any
case.

-Wilson